I have been waiting for everything to fall into place for my next step before writing again on this blog. But I decided to go ahead and tell what I know at this time before I fly out to California next Tuesday to spend a week with Seth.
I have been emailing back and forth to my friends in Israel. The couple I stayed with two summers ago have again invited me to stay with them for an indefinite period. Also, some friends who have a long-term lease on a large apartment have offered to let me stay in Bethlehem since they are not in the country at this time.
Lots of stuff up in the air: I am in contact with a Christian school in Jerusalem. I’d love to live in Jerusalem but this is not a sure thing. I’m also in touch with a school in Izmir, Turkey, but this is not a sure thing either at this time.
A few days ago I received a contract to teach at a university in Xi’an China. I am working through the terms of the contract to see what they are really offering. Chinese contracts are not very clear and a person needs to be careful he understands exactly what is being offered (even though it is in English the wording could mean lots of different things).
I have applied to the local college as an assistant professor and they said they would let me know in a few weeks. I did this just in case I needed a fall-back possibility.
Israel won’t allow someone in the country unless he arrives with a round-trip ticket. However, since I’m not returning to the U.S. I don’t want a round-trip ticket. So, I’ve faxed the Israeli Embassy in Washington, DC asking for a waiver of this provision. Hopefully, I’ll know something next week.
So, lots of things waiting…I’ll keep you informed.